Sunday, July 13, 2008

Who says that?

It's been a while since I posted. I blame the fact that our laptop imploded about a month ago. I also blame my loose grip on reality. There are so many imaginary posts that I do in my head every single day. How am I supposed to remember that I never actually posted about the new shoes I was enraptured about for about a day until I realized they really hurt my feet? Or the the tribute to my lovely friend Ingrid that I had planned after the comments she left on my last post? Be warned, Ingrid...it's coming! The list goes on and on. So here it is, July 13th and now I will get to the meat of this particular post:

I got my hair cut. Not just a trim either - this was a full-blown transformation. My hair used to be well past my shoulders in length. It now barely comes past my chin. After I left the salon, things seemed to go well at first. I liked it, Atom liked it, Lis liked it. I went to work the next morning feeling simultaneously nervous and excited. Would anyone say anything? The first half dozen comments were all very positive. The world is rose-colored. Enter one normally very nice lady from finance:

finance lady: "You got your hair cut."
Me: "Yeah, it was time for a change."
finance lady: "Did you cut it yourself?"

Did I cut it myself? What??? Who says that?! All of a sudden thoughts are swirling around in my head. Does it really look as though I cut six inches of my own hair by myself? Is it because of my cowlick? I know what my hair would look like if I cut it myself because I used to do it all the time when I was about four. Now, I'm pretty sure that this lady did not mean to cause so much angst. Maybe she just didn't know what else to say and is trying make conversation. It gets better about four hours later:

same finance lady: "So, are you trying to look your age?"
Me: Well, since I'm turning 30 next month, no, I hope I don't look exactly my age."
same finance lady: "Some people were talking about your haircut. They think you look older."

Awesome. I look older. Again, not something I want to hear as I exit my 20's. And on top of that, people are talking about my hair out of earshot. Self-esteem plummeting.

You'll be happy to know that I've recovered and really like the new 'do. Like I said, I really don't think she meant any offense and hopefully this will be viewed as the humorous anecdote that I meant it to be. But still......who says that?

4 comments:

0701reeder said...

I am a witness to the haircut - it is darling. What do those out of touch girls know anyway. You'd look good in any style.

Cindy said...

This made me laugh so hard. I can only imagine the conversations that you girls had a lunch. Well I hope your honeymoon pal said something complimentary about your hair. I am sure it looks great. And if the person in finance is who I think it is .... I mean do you really care what she thinks anyways?

amber said...

I bet the hair looks awesome, but i am disappointed that there isn't a picture to prove it..... That story cracked me up though! I am still giggling! People just don't know when to shut up!!!

Ingrid said...

Jen...I am so embarrassed...i don't even know what to say about my very own tribute...I think that you called me your lovely friend is enough tribute in & of itself! But, also...I have to agree with the previous comment. WHERE'S THE PIC? We need to see the pic before I can say either "No way! It's way cuter than a tinned pajama party game with coordinating stickers" or "DID you cut it yourself?" Seriously, though, I'm sure your hair looks v. fab and I want to see a picture of it!