Monday, March 15, 2010

Quarterly Report - I know, I'm bad

Warning - this is a long post. You may want to stop reading now. I meant to blog at least a couple of times a month, but a couple of times a quarter is okay, too, right? This first quarter of 2010 is all about love and maybe birthdays, too. Love of family, friends, and yes, even a few material objects. Let's start with January:

One of the things that I'm most grateful for about going to BYU is the super, ultra, fabulous friends I made there. My French friend/roommate Rachel was in town the first week of January and I got to meet her, and her mom, and her cute kids for lunch. Rachel and I became friends in French class our Freshman year. She is partially responsible for my now horrible French pronunciation. Many years later, she was also one of my roommates in Salt Lake. She is one of the funniest and coolest cats I know. Thanks for lunch!

My cute nephew Connor and his personable dad, Kurt had birthdays! I'm so glad these two guys are part of our family. Connor can melt my mother's heart just by looking at her. I think it's the blue eyes. Really, he looks like he should be more my baby than Wende's. I offered to take him off her hands, but she said no. One of the things I like best about my brother-in-law, Kurt, is how easily he can provoke my sister - it's awesome. Sorry, Wende, but it is entertaining.

There's only one other thing that I really fell in love with in January. As part of my Christmas present to myself, I ordered a pair of leopard print heels. This is something that one has to do when one works where I do. There is a frump factor when you have to wear nylons everyday. It has to be battled diligently. These shoes really hurt after 8 hours, but the pain is worth it!

February: My dad has a birthday! I wish I could have been there for this one, too. I know that other people may argue this point, but I really do have the best dad. He's never been one of those distant father types. He tells his children he loves them all the time. That has always meant so much to me. He's fun to talk to. He used to dance around the kitchen when my mom wasn't around making up songs for us kids about the cold cereal we were eating, but he will deny it if you ask him about it. He has a stage presence and, if he chooses, a voice like thunder that has scared many a deacon in our ward. I think some of those boys are still afraid of him, but really, he's a marshmallow. The smart people figure that out. Happy birthday, Dad!

Another old friend comes to town! This time, it's Ingrid. Lis and I met her during our junior year at BYU. We bonded over the Sound of Music, slurpees, and salt and vinegar potato chips - a lasting bond. She wrote me a soliloquy once - that should really say it all. I love that girl. I love the types of friends who you don't talk to for months and months or even years, but when you see them it was like you were never apart (except for the whole two kids thing). She brought Camila and Henry with her. Oh, the eyes on these children!

Adam's grandma has her 80th birthday! Her children threw a surprise party for her and I was cursing myself for not bringing a camera. She looked so happy when she came through the door and saw everyone. On the invitation for her party, they put a lovely picture of her when she was really young. I was remarking to Adam on what a nice picture it was and then I said, "We both have such pretty grandmothers! Don't you think our grandma's are so pretty?" He said he didn't feel comfortable analyzing the attractiveness of his or my grandmother.

Then, as a symbol of our love for one another, Adam and I got iPhones at the end of February. This is a huge upgrade for Adam and I, who have often been mocked for our outdated phones. Mock not, world. I knew that Adam was the one for me when we realized we had matching Nokia brick phones in 2007. I'm now in love with my iPhone as well. Do you realize I can play the Oregon Trail on this thing!?! Love it.

March: Adam has a birthday! He doesn't like to make a big deal out of his birthdays so I had to content myself with a family party on Saturday and making him a birthday hat, which he was a good sport about wearing upon request. His actual birthday was yesterday. He's been working so much lately that Sunday's are usually the only day he has off. We had so much fun just hanging out and doing nothing...and eating the left over birthday pies. I love him the
most.
A BCW reunion! For the first weekend in March I got to hang with not one, but three of the best friends a girl can have. Lis, Kim, and Abby were my roommates my senior year at BYU. We all live close to each other except for Abby, who came into town for a week and oh, what times we had. We are older and wiser than we were (that is particularly true in my case), but I think we're just as much fun. I'm sure that Kim's baby, Lily, thought so...

Things yet to come - my sister has a birthday! Born on St Patrick's Day. It's a shame we have no Irish blood. I wish I were going to be there for her birthday, too. Why aren't NY and UT closer!? Happy Birthday, Wende. I love you, too!

Was this a little sappy? I don't think of myself as a sappy person, but really, other than the aforementioned happenings, my life during these dark, dreary months of winter is pretty boring. I am so not a winter person! The older I get, the more aware I am of how difficult life can be for me and the people around me. Isn't it lucky that there is also so much to compensate for those hard times?

8 comments:

Alyson said...

Yay, you're back! Great post, Jen! Happy be-lated birthday to all those birthdays. Adam is such a good sport to wear that hat! I have iPhone envy.

And I LOVE those shoes!!! Very nice.

Summer's World said...

Insert pic of me in there!!! I wanna play!!!!

sara and wade said...

wahoo! i love your updates. i miss you lots miss jennifer!! and i also follow in my sister's footsteps when i say i have iphone envy and i'm lovin the shoes. so worth the pain right?!!

Cindy said...

I love the shoes. They will definitely combat the frump in the office. I hope Donna has already commented on how they may be too sexy for work or somethinig awkward like that. p.s. I LOVE iphones! My life will never be the same!!!

Jana said...

What I love most about this post is that you bought leopard print shoes to wear to Church Headquarters.

amber said...

love the shoes!!!!!

Em said...

hi jen! love ya! i've been thinking lots of you, loved catching up. miss you, em

Rach and Todd said...

After I saw your comment yesterday I realized that I never commented on this post. First of all, I would like FULL credit for your bad French accent. Second, it was so totally chouette to see you in SLC - thanks for coming to lunch with us. And third, I MISS YOU. That's all for now. Hope the COB is rockin' today. Love ya.