Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hail to the Chief...

So, probably like many of you, Atom and I have been absolutely fascinated as we’ve watched the presidential campaigns unfold this year. We can’t get enough of it. We talk about it all of the time when we’re together. I’ve always been interested in politics. Those of you who know me well know that when I was 11 years old, I read a biography about our 41st president - George Herbert Walker Bush, and I loved it. Since that time, I felt a certain kinship with him. I have t-shirts, commemorative coins, photos, newspaper clippings and an autograph. I need to make sure you know that every single item was given to me from someone who knew that I really liked him, and are not the results of my own endeavors! No crazy people here, okay? When he lost his re-election campaign in 1992, I still remember walking into the kitchen the next morning and asking my mom whether he had been re-elected. When she told me no, my heart sank, I was so disappointed! My fascination didn’t end there – I’ve read at least a little bit about every American president, although I can’t say I remember very much about some of them (William Henry Harrison – my mind is blank). My favorites? I would say John Adams, Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, Jimmy Carter, and George H W Bush (duh). I have a profound respect for that office, and the demands of such a position.

I received a forwarded email from a co-worker recently with images of suffragettes such as Susan B Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Alice Paul who fought so hard to give women the right to vote. I’m so grateful for strong, intelligent women who have made my life so much easier through their struggles. I feel like I come from a long line of them myself!

Since this is my blog, and consequently my opportunity to share my voice, I’d like to encourage everyone to not only vote, but to get educated about the different candidates and their positions. Don’t rely on forwards or political commentators, do your own research. Below are two links to get you started, if you haven’t already. I like the CNN one because it’s easy to navigate, but I also tried to find one not affiliated with a news organization – it seems pretty unbiased, but I could be wrong. There are probably better ones than these, and if you have any other suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Googling a candidate’s name and then going to their campaign website is also a good place to start. Happy hunting!

http://www.issues2000.org/Issues.htm

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/

4 comments:

jess (mumbo designs) said...

Oh, Jen! I had forgotten about your love for George. I'm so glad you reminded me of that great quality you have. And yes, of course I'm going to vote.

amber said...

So who is your choice?????

Cindy said...

Ok Crap Jen! You just burst my bubble. I was totally going to vote according to the latest e-mail forward... it makes me laugh/cry that sometimes email forwards are as much education some voters have. I love the enthusiasm you have on this post. I totally agree. Voting is important and people need to be educated before they make such an important decision.

Unknown said...

Way to be Jenners!! I know you got this spirit from me - don't deny it.